Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Warwick 2016

After schoolhouse on Fri I hopped on a develop to Coventry to attend Edexcel's conference 'Excellence inward Mathematics: Into the Future' at the University of Warwick. It was a fantastic event, reminding me of the high lineament residential grooming courses I used to attend inward my previous career.
Shortly afterward arriving I attended a publishers exhibition at which I picked upwardly a sample chapter from a novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree textbook. The content is rattling like inward format to the existing Pearson Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree books. The 'P1' hither refers to i of the novel linear exams (for Edexcel, Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree Maths students volition accept iii exams at the goal of Year thirteen - P1 (Pure 1), P2 (Pure 2) too SM (Statistics too Mechanics)). 
Before dinner nosotros had an update on the novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree specifications that are currently awaiting accreditation. Having followed developments closely I was familiar amongst most of this, but I was interested inward the Further Maths options outlined on the slide below. I dearest pure maths then if I were a pupil choosing Further Maths options I'd become for FP3 too FP4, pregnant my Further Maths Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree would accept no applied chemical cistron at all.
The presentation equally good outlined upcoming changes to Statistics GCSE. Looks pretty tough.
There was a bingo game during the Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree update, won yesteryear Sharon of Longley Park. The prize was this awesome clock! I dearest it that (for example) Pi is merely afterward iii too e is merely earlier three.
Dinner was lovely. Bizarrely I met a maths instructor who lived inward Republic of Botswana inward the belatedly 80s, when I was at principal schoolhouse at that topographic point - I've never met anyone who has lived inward Republic of Botswana earlier then this was rather exciting. 
TES Maths Team of the Year members Chris too Mel larn the blood-red carpeting treatment!

After dinner the Exam Wizard made an appearance at the bar! All skillful fun, too prissy to grab upwardly amongst around Twitter friends.

The adjacent morning time nosotros were treated to Hannah Fry's keynote presentation, which was absolutely fantastic. I've been a big fan of Hannah Fry since I saw her speak at a Maths inward Action consequence a few years ago. Hannah is a lecturer inward the Mathematics of Cities at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at my favourite academy - UCL (I'm a UCL alumna!). I actually enjoyed her recent TV series City inward the Sky. She is a highly engaging speaker too I encourage y'all to run across her if y'all larn the chance.
After Hannah's keynote I spent the hateful solar daytime delivering my 'Wonderful World of Maths Resources' workshop.

Here are the materials for this workshop:



Near the outset of my workshop I asked delegates to write downwards the resources websites they oft purpose - here's what they came upwardly with! Aren't nosotros lucky to accept then many fantastic resources providers?

On the agency habitation I enjoyed reading Hannah Fry's book, The Mathematics of Love. All delegates received a re-create inward their goody bag. It's a rattling funny book.
I had a fantastic fourth dimension at Warwick 2016. Thanks to Mel (@Just_Maths) too the maths squad at Edexcel for getting me involved. What a peachy event.

I'll move out y'all amongst 2 things mentioned inward Hannah Fry's beak when she was speaking nigh modelling traffic shockwaves too pedestrian dynamics. First, craziness at Meskel Square, which looks terrifying but somehow seems to operate out ok...



Second, the spinning block of doom! This is hilarious.