Friday, March 22, 2019

Resources For Novel Gcse Topics

If y'all follow my weblog hence you'll know that over summertime I spent a lot of fourth dimension setting upward a new GCSE back upward page. In doing hence I constitute that there are some topics (such every bit Error Intervals together with Frequency Trees) which currently receive got real few didactics resources.

Free vs Subscription Resources
The resources I recommend inwards my libraries are all available for free. The teachers behind costless websites similar m4ths.com together with Corbett Maths are adding novel GCSE content all the time. The examine boards are besides beingness real helpful - I've already made utilisation of both AQA together with OCR's first-class novel resources.

There's besides a break of high lineament resources providers who accuse a pocket-size subscription fee. These include MathsPad, MathsBox, Teachit Maths together with Just Maths. These subscriptions are good worth considering. The motion-picture present below shows an extract from a MathsPad activeness that I used yesterday amongst my locomote past times laid Year 10 - it's a swell activeness but it's solely available amongst a subscription (£3 per month).

Of course of written report it should hold upward your schoolhouse that pays for whatsoever subscriptions, non you. I know schoolhouse budgets are tight, but if your subdivision doesn't receive got whatsoever novel GCSE maths textbooks hence it does demand to ensure that didactics resources are available.

Toticity
Last calendar week I discovered a companionship called Toticity. My eyes lit upward when I saw that they're selling a 'Mind the Gap Maths Toolbox' which is total of resources for novel GCSE topics. I was specially pleased to run across that 1 of their costless samples is on Iteration - this a theme for which resources are few together with far between.

In this post service I render a review of the Toolbox, which is available to your schoolhouse for a one-off payment of £95 + VAT.

Sequences
I've but finished didactics the novel sequences content - it was real enjoyable. There's some swell sequences resources listed inwards my algebra library, but when I taught triangular numbers together with 'Fibonacci-type sequences' I couldn't honour whatsoever resources at all. It's a shame I didn't receive got the Toticity Toolbox finally calendar week because there's a lovely Fibonacci worksheet inwards there, summation some prissy activities for triangular numbers.
Fibonacci-type sequence questions
from the Mind the Gap Maths Toolbox

Under-resourced topics
Under-resourced topics such every bit Frequency Trees, Error Intervals together with Invariant Points are all covered inwards the Mind the Gap Maths Toolbox - extracts from these worksheets are shown below. What a relief to finally receive got some resources for these topics!

Compound Measures
Compound measure worksheets are presented every bit a serial of proportionality puzzles. Students get-go amongst puzzles similar the illustration shown below - hither students are told that the horizontal functions must hold upward the same together with the vertical functions must hold upward the same.

This leads onto speed problems, such every bit the illustration shown below.

We are besides given both density and pressure level problems, which follow the same format.
I similar this logical approach to proportional thinking, it reminds me of ratio tables.

Area nether a Graph
In August I wrote a post nigh finding the expanse nether a graph. In my post service I talked nigh using the Trapezium Rule to honour the expanse nether a curve, but I didn't holler graphs similar the illustration pictured below.
This doesn't require the Trapezium Rule but does require that students either know how to calculate the expanse of a trapezium or realise that they tin laissez passer on the sack dissever the expanse into a rectangle together with a triangle. The Mind the Gap Maths Toolbox provides a preliminary worksheet to assistance students prepare the necessary skills - an extract is shown below. They utilisation shapes earlier they motion onto graphs. I similar this.

Diagrams together with Scaffolding
The worksheets inwards the Mind the Gap Toolbox incorporate a lot of algorithmic diagrams. Workings receive got to follow a defined structure. For illustration the format below is used for all the questions on finding the midpoint of a line.
Another illustration is shown below - this is taken from a rounding worksheet. I've non seen this approach before. In lodge to utilisation this worksheet inwards a lesson on rounding I'd in all likelihood receive got to utilisation this representation throughout my didactics of the topic. Instead I utilisation a straightforward break occupation together with I'm non certain I desire to modify that.


Have a hold off at Page ii of this free sample resource on perpendicular lines to run across what I hateful nigh the utilisation of lots of algorithmic diagrams. These approaches are interesting but I'm non certain they volition appeal to everyone.

Design
I similar the pattern of all the worksheets inwards the Mind the Gap Maths Toobox - they are user-friendly together with good formatted. Answers are provided. There's lilliputian inwards the agency of occupation solving or stretch together with challenge - these worksheets are real much designed for fluency practice. I'll utilisation these worksheets inwards add-on to (but non instead of) rich tasks that prepare occupation solving skills.

The diagrams together with flowcharts used throughout most of the worksheets render a lot of scaffolding. This makes some of the challenging novel content to a greater extent than accessible, for illustration through the utilisation of grids for expanding triple brackets. The approaches used (the real distinctive methodologies) powerfulness non appeal to everyone but are worth a look.

I'm real pleased that I receive got a novel laid of exercise worksheets together with am actually looking forrad to getting stuck inwards amongst all the novel GCSE topics. Even iteration! Do receive got a hold off at toticity.co.uk for costless samples, a listing of novel topics together with an lodge form.