Tuesday, March 12, 2019

5 Maths Gems #61

Welcome to my 61st update from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. Here I summarise unopen to of the latest ideas together with resources for educational activity maths.

I promise everyone is enjoying their summertime break. I've been busy having lots of fun amongst my lovely daughters. We're going to rest on a farm close Hastings side past times side calendar week - looks similar I powerfulness fifty-fifty larn skillful weather! I'm starting to experience a chip nervous (and excited!) close Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade together with GCSE results - non long to hold back now...

1. Magic
Thanks to Susan Russo (@Dsrussosusan) for sharing this Crystal Ball activity from @Yummymath. It's neat fun! This powerfulness non operate on a mobile - create crusade it on a estimator if you lot can. Everyone likes a chip of mathematical sorcery... together with the interesting chip is trying to figure out how it works.

2. Planet Nutshell
I spotted unopen to skillful maths clips at Planet Nutshell. For instance you lot could demo this brusk proportional relationships video every bit purpose of a GCSE lesson (proportional graphs are featured on the novel GCSE specification).



It's worth checking out the total attain of videos. Short video clips tin dismiss sometimes complement a lesson nicely.

3. Puzzles 
Through the Sacks' which I'd non seen before.

Do banking concern agree out Don's latest ready of number puzzles too.

I've also been enjoying the problems shared past times Five Triangles (@Five_Triangles) recently. These 2 problems would operate good at Key Stage iii or 4:

a. Find x
b. The trapezium has meridian 22cm. The ratio of areas of triangles ⓐ to ⓑ is 4:5. Find expanse of shaded triangle.
4. Infinite Fractions
If you lot convey fourteen minutes spare for mathematical enrichment this summer, I recommend this video:



I actually enjoyed this.

5. Planner 
I know this won't appeal to everyone, simply if you're a fan of pretty stationery than you lot powerfulness desire to design your ain planner...  I've done it for the commencement fourth dimension this year. The website is real tardily to utilization together with it's amazing how much you lot tin dismiss customise - size, cover, binding, contents (which tin dismiss include seating plans, grade sheets, demeanour logs etc...). If you lot desire i for September I recommend ordering soon. I've been sent a code for 10% off (YDJ5PLX) which mortal powerfulness create goodness from. I honey my novel planner!

Update
In instance you lot missed them, hither are my recent posts:

I also created a novel page of classroom display ideas from diverse sources.

I was pleased that my spider web log was ranked 2nd inwards Vuelio's Top 10 Great Britain Education Blogs 2016.

Today I went to Bletchley Park amongst a lovely grouping of maths teachers from Twitter. We had a fantastic solar daytime together with were treated to a particular demonstration of an Enigma car from @TeaKayB. If you lot haven't been to Bletchley Park earlier thence I actually recommend a visit.
La Salle convey directly confirmed the appointment of their side past times side Pie together with Maths event. It's on Tuesday 23rd August together with you lot tin dismiss mass Gems 37 for my write-up of terminal summer's event. I'm hoping to become along for the drinks this year.

#mathsconf6, #mathsconf5, #mathsconf4, #mathsconf2015 together with Gems 8.

Finally, I'll live out you lot amongst this joke - I spotted it inwards a dorsum number of Chris Smith's weekly maths newsletter.