Saturday, March 23, 2019

A Score Resources #2

This is my minute post close my previous post I shared some of my favourite Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources. In this post I'm roofing the other primal points from my workshop:
1. The demand for resources.
2. Using problems sets.
3. Getting organised (including schemes of work).
I also utter over how to portion additional resources amongst students, which I didn't receive got fourth dimension to embrace at the conference.

I exactly desire to clarify something earlier I start - resources are helpful, but inwards my hear in that place is nada to a greater extent than of import than clarity of explanation. Good Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade teachers receive got audio dependent area cognition in addition to know how to explicate things well. Please don't intend that my focus on resources at the conference suggests that I intend that resources receive got precedence! They don't. They're squeamish to receive got though.

Is the textbook enough? 
I started my workshop past times discussing the demand for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources. I oftentimes purpose Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade textbook exercises for practise inwards class, but produce I demand anything else?

To respond that enquiry let's await at my typical lesson structure. I don't produce anything revolutionary inwards my Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade didactics - no flipped learning, no enquiry - my mode is fairly traditional. I'm non proverb this is the best agency to learn Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level, it's exactly the agency I teach.
In the construction to a higher identify you lot tin meet that I ordinarily start amongst a skills banking concern lucifer in addition to refresher (sometimes an examination enquiry relating to what nosotros did inwards the final lesson, sometimes a brusque puzzle or activity), hence I demand resources at this point. I'll hence learn something novel in addition to my students volition practise that novel science (again, I'll demand resources hither - a textbook, worksheet or activity). Formative assessment of skills during this activeness volition assist me decide which students demand to a greater extent than explanation. Imagine the class splitting into ii groups at this betoken - those who've demonstrated agreement in addition to are developing fluency, in addition to those who demand to a greater extent than back upwards (I mightiness demand some differentiated activities here). After the lesson I demand to produce some summative assessment, hence I mightiness laid a homework which I volition receive got inwards in addition to mark, or I mightiness assess students inwards a examine on a subsequently appointment - again, I demand resources for these assessment activities. Finally, I tell my students to produce ongoing independent practise in addition to I demand to betoken them inwards the direction of resources for this. So you lot tin meet that in that place are many opportunities to purpose a multifariousness of resources throughout the lesson. The textbook does non embrace all these bases. Thankfully there's loads of vivid Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources available - read my previous post for ideas.

In my workshop I shared iii activities from MEI in addition to asked delegates to utter over whether they'd purpose these, in addition to how they could purpose them. For event I oftentimes purpose the start activeness below (Logs True or False past times Susan Wall) every bit a quick refresher (ie a starter), but it also plant good for formative assessment (perhaps amongst mini-whiteboards) and/or basic skills practice.


The coordinate geometry resource to a higher identify plant good inwards a consolidation lesson - students describe their working diagram inwards the middle of A3 newspaper in addition to stick each chore (and their answers) roughly the border inwards the gild they completed the tasks. The thought is to acquire them thinking close the data they demand to respond each question.

Problem sets
Time is a huge occupation inwards Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade teaching. At my previous schoolhouse nosotros had 8 lessons a fortnight (split 5/3 betwixt ii teachers) inwards both Year 12 in addition to Year 13. This but was non plenty fourth dimension to learn iii modules. I was ever rushing through topics in addition to oftentimes stressed close running out of time. At my novel schoolhouse nosotros acquire to a greater extent than fourth dimension (10 lessons a fortnight inwards Year 12 in addition to nine lessons a fortnight inwards Year 13) - this is much better, though I withal experience some fourth dimension pressure. I'd dear to pass fourth dimension on occupation solving but 'getting through the examination specification' takes priority. For the strange occasion when I produce acquire the chance to produce some occupation solving amongst my students, I've collated a disclose of problems sets (suitable for GCSE in addition to AS level):
I got the problems from diverse sources (information listed inwards the PowerPoints). I ordinarily impress the PDFs on A3 newspaper in addition to acquire students to hold upwards amongst a partner to solve the problems inwards whatever order.
Getting organised
When I was Key Stage five Coordinator I went into schoolhouse during the summertime holidays in addition to spent a twenty-four hours downloading in addition to organising hundreds of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources. This saves everyone a lot of fourth dimension in addition to attempt during term time. I organised these resources past times theme on the schoolhouse network in addition to added them to my school's Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade Schemes of Work. I've moved schools directly but took all the files amongst me (attendees at my conference session were given my extensive C1/C2 resources files every bit a give thank you lot you for coming!).
Extract from C2 Scheme of Work

Some schools don't purpose schemes of hold upwards for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. It's non a necessity similar it is at Key Stage 3 in addition to GCSE. I was lucky that nosotros had first-class schemes of hold upwards at my previous schoolhouse which contained lots of links to resources - these were ready in addition to regularly updated past times my colleagues.

At the destination of my workshop a delegate asked if I'd portion these schemes of hold upwards in addition to I promised I would, hence here's C1 - C4 for you lot to borrow in addition to edit. None of the hyperlinks volition hold upwards inwards these documents because they were linked to the schoolhouse network, non the internet, but at to the lowest degree it's a starting betoken for the structure.

Incidentally, if I were starting a resources collection from scratch hence I'd reckon using Pinterest or Pealrtrees to concord my collection because I dear the 'snapshot' format.

Sharing resources amongst students
Consider setting upwards a weblog or Twitter delineate of piece of work concern human relationship for your students - receive got students to an information technology Room in addition to acquire them to follow the delineate of piece of work concern human relationship or register for e-mail updates to ensure you lot acquire an audience. Publish essential data (eg assessment dates, homework deadlines) in addition to hand access to resources, tips, enrichment in addition to hence on. In the twelvemonth that I was Key Stage five Coordinator, I wrote a Sixth Form Maths Blog - it has been abandoned directly I've left the school, which is a shame because I was actually proud of it. It was a swell agency to encourage independent learning in addition to to hand students opportunities to improve. Below is an event post hence you lot tin meet how I shared resources amongst students. If you lot desire to meet an event Twitter delineate of piece of work concern human relationship for students, await at @MathsNewVic.

So that's it! I hope these ii posts receive got helped you lot inwards creating or enhancing your collection of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources. If you lot attended my workshop I hope you lot flora it useful. Please comment below to portion anything adept that I've missed - I'd dear to meet your favourite resources in addition to hear close what you lot do.