Friday, March 15, 2019

5 Maths Gems #56

This is my 56th update from the basis of Maths EduTwitter. If you're non a tweeter, or if you're wondering whether you've missed anything, here's a summary of around of the latest ideas in addition to resources for teaching maths.

1. Euro 2016 Maths
@dooranran makes lovely maths resources. I recollect teachers volition actually similar the activities he has prepared for Euro 2016. Topics include vectors, Pythagoras, trigonometry, angles on parallel lines, time, pie charts in addition to estimating the mean.

2. Pythagoreanmath.com
I discovered a fabulous website, pythagoreanmath.com, which has lots of cool content including an amazing department on Euclid's Elements. Do banking concern agree it out. I likewise actually similar their 'Complete Explanation for Area of a Circle Formula'.
3. Find individual who can
@rondelle10_b shared an interesting persuasion which Phil Bruce (@pbrucemaths) adapted for maths. In 'Find Someone Who Can', students inquire other members of the degree to reply questions using the sail pictured below. This develops students' mathematical communication skills equally they are required to explicate solutions to classmates. You tin download the PDF from Phil's page of revision resources.
4. Colin Foster's Activities
I discovered Colin Foster's 'Instant Maths Ideas' books a acre ago. I relish browsing through them every similar a shot in addition to and thence - they're packed total of fantabulous tasks in addition to questions.

For example, inwards Possible or Impossible? students are asked to create upward one's hear whether each arguing inwards the tabular array below is possible or impossible. If it’s possible they are asked to grade an illustration in addition to if it's impossible they convey to tell why.
Another slap-up activity, this fourth dimension from Colin's chapter on rounding, is this describe of piece of job which looks at diverse scenarios inwards which students convey to calculate 17 ÷ 5. In each illustration they convey to recollect carefully well-nigh how to circular their answer.
5. More from MathsPad
Another awesome costless resources from MathsPad: Using a Calculator - Odd One Out. This action addresses lots of mutual errors in addition to misconceptions.
Updates
I've written quite a lot of weblog posts since my terminal laid of gems. Here they are inwards illustration yous missed them:

I've likewise added around H5N1 aeroplane revision resources to TES - banking concern agree out my TES Shop to download these for free.

There's loads going on inwards June in addition to July - encounter my conferences page for details. First upward for me is researchED Maths in addition to Science inwards Oxford on tenth June - the programme is fantabulous thence I'm actually looking forwards to it.

Bookings are similar a shot opened upward for my session at LIME Oldham on 20th June where I'll endure talking well-nigh quadratic methods. I likewise recommend that yous mass a house at Edexcel's Warwick Conference where I'll endure presenting a session on 'The Wonderful World of Maths Resources'

Finally, I'll move out yous alongside this laid of maths examination meme posters - I seat these upward inwards my maths corridor a duet of weeks in addition to they went downwards actually good alongside students inwards every twelvemonth group. They were created past times Paul Collins (here.