Tuesday, March 19, 2019

5 Maths Gems #49

Hello as well as welcome to my 49th gems post. This is where I portion 5 maths teaching ideas as well as render an update on some of the things that bring been happening inwards U.K. maths education.

1. Revision Mats
Grant Barker (@AccessMaths) has created some fantabulous revision mats. Like all of Grant's resources, these are really good designed.

For to a greater extent than GCSE revision resources, run across my postal service Higher GCSE Revision.

2. MathsBot
I've sung the praises of Jonathan Hall's (@StudyMaths) website formtimeideas.com many times before. If you're a shape tutor as well as yous don't know nearly this website as well as thence you're missing out! I've used it for tutor groups from Year seven through to Year 12. In add-on to formtimeideas.com, Jonathan runs some fantabulous maths websites - my favourite is Flash Maths.

It's worth checking out Jonathan's recent updates to MathsBot.com. This includes numerous helpful tools including a Starter Generator which allows yous to pick out topics as well as difficulty level:
3. Key Marks
Thanks to Billy Adamson (@Billyads_47) for creating a 'Key marks earned inwards GCSEs' resource. These slides characteristic elementary strategies as well as facts that Billy's students remove to larn for their GCSE exams. Weekly testing over the adjacent few months (for illustration amongst mini-whiteboards) volition survive a proficient agency to tending students memorise these fundamental points.
4. Truncation
Truncation is a novel GCSE topic. My colleague Rachel (@miss_middletonr) has a actually squeamish agency of helping students recollect how to truncate numbers.

When I tell I'm 35 years old, I haven't rounded my historic menses to the nearest integer. I've truncated my age. So when I tell I'm 35, yous know my historic menses is betwixt 35 as well as 36:

35  age < 36

This is an incredibly straightforward as well as accessible agency to instruct mistake intervals. Thank yous for the consider Rachel!

5. Launch - Underground Maths
If you've been next the progress of CMEP then yous likely already know that their fantastic Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 bird resources are going to survive hosted on the novel website undergroundmathematics.org which launches on Monday. Follow @UndergroundMath for updates. I dear their 'teddy bear' activeness for the equation of a circle.


Recommended Reading
I recommend that yous read these recent articles as well as publications if yous haven't already:
  • Edexcel's novel Maths GCSE Assessment Guide. I flora it interesting to read that formulae volition survive given inwards the interrogation rather than on a formula sheet. Also, although it's non novel information, the judgement "Previously, 25% of questions were targeted at A/A*, simply at i time 50% of questions inwards each newspaper are targeted at the equivalent grades, 7–9" reminded me of the pregnant stride upward inwards difficulty of the novel GCSEs.
  • Information nearly the Common Errors Made past times Maths Teachers and You Say Zero, I Say Nought.

Two weeks until #mathsconf6!

I'll piece of job out yous amongst this lovely tweet from @CDawson18: