Monday, March 11, 2019

Going Well...

I'm struggling amongst workload at the 2d but I'm taking a quick intermission from the mark together with UCAS references to part 3 things that are going actually good this year.

1. Low Stakes Quizzes 
I started doing regular multiple pick quizzes amongst my Year 10s concluding twelvemonth together with straightaway loved it (I wrote virtually it here). I've never done anything earlier that's given me so much insight into my students' agreement together with the effectiveness of my teaching. My Year 10s ended upwards beingness taken past times a PGCE pupil for a pregnant business office of the twelvemonth so the quizzes stopped, but I possess got reintroduced them this twelvemonth amongst the same course of teaching (now Year 11) together with ane time to a greater extent than I'm reminded of how awesome these quizzes are.

My weekly quizzes possess got twenty minutes to run inwards the lesson (we create it every Friday), addition virtually twenty minutes to grade later on the lesson. The quizzes don't possess got long to brand when I'm planning my lessons - lately I've merely been using the snipping tool to possess got questions from Diagnostic Questions (shhh, don't tell Craig!). You tin laissez passer the sack persuasion my quizzes here.

I laissez passer each pupil a flat (A, B or Not Yet) together with anyone who scores 100% gets a sticker (they honey that!). The quizzes are opened upwards majority so there's no stress for students - inwards fact they honey them (I larn a cheer when I nation it's fourth dimension for the quiz!) together with they are e'er excited to run across their score inwards the side past times side lesson. For me 'it's similar I'm looking at the freaking Matrix' (in the words of Nathan Kraft inwards this post virtually vertical whiteboards!). Seriously, this is ane of the best things I've ever done.

2. Folders
My Year 11s at nowadays purpose band binders instead of practise books. It's brilliant. I require to write a divide post service virtually how this industrial plant because there's lots to say. Loads of people told me it wouldn't work, mainly because the folders would speedily larn disorganised (which may still happen - we're entirely 3 weeks in), but I've designed a proficient laid of resources that minimise the guide a opportunity of messy folders. I'm pretty confident that it volition proceed to operate well. Watch out for a post service virtually this!

3. Times Table Rock Stars
I'm non certain I'm allowed to pose photos of my students on my blog, but if I could together with then you'd run across the happy faces of my Year 7s absolutely loving Times Tables Rock Stars (whilst wearing wigs together with sunglasses!). All Year vii teachers at Glyn at nowadays possess got ane lesson inwards an information technology Room every fortnight to run a Times Tables Rock Stars lesson. I create the newspaper version amongst my course of teaching too, addition I've merely launched an later on schoolhouse 'Rock Gods' social club for neat Year 7s. H5N1 pose out of teachers possess got also fix other classes (Year 8 to Year 10) together with it seems to locomote going good all round. My students happily sit down at that spot for a amount sixty minutes enthusiastically practising times tables, together with I larn to take away heed to stone music so it's win-win...!

So that's 3 things are going especially good for me this year. Are you lot trying anything novel that seems to locomote working? Please tweet me or comment below.