Thursday, September 5, 2019

5 Maths Gems #26

post.
Things people produce on Pi Day - Spiked Math
1. Helpful Exercise Books
I spotted foldable vertical disclose lines when reading Sarah Hagan's splendid blog Math = Love. I'm definitely going to operate these adjacent twelvemonth - I'll endeavour it out amongst my novel Year 7s inwards September. They'll stick a vertical disclose line of piece of occupation inwards the dorsum of their practise book. The disclose line of piece of occupation tin terminate hence live on unfolded as well as referred to whenever it's helpful to produce so. It's skilful to larn students inwards the habit of using disclose lines, as well as I intend that vertical disclose lines are to a greater extent than helpful than horizontal ones.

Speaking of disclose lines, this postal service virtually Open Number Lines by @mburnsmath is worth a read. I operate disclose lines similar this on the board all the time.
Back to practise books, I was actually interested in @Ms_Kmp's postal service 'Indexed Learning' which is virtually students numbering every page inwards their practise books. The postal service describes the numerous advantages of page numbers - I specially similar the regard of students creating a topic index at the dorsum of their book.

2. Parallel Line Mazes
I enjoyed Gems 23 - he made an interactive display on the wall for students to bring a larn at.

5. Pi Day
My schoolhouse doesn't commonly produce anything for Pi Day but this twelvemonth nosotros bring a few things planned, including a pie baking competition, a treasure hunt as well as a Poetry Pi-Cital. The latter involves students writing as well as reciting a brusk poesy form virtually Pi, inspired yesteryear the poesy form at the offset of this video:

Here's a few to a greater extent than Pi Day ideas that you lot mightiness non bring regard of:
  • Pi recital competition. Prize for the pupil who recites the most digits of Pi. 
  • ‘Tell a maths instructor an interesting fact virtually Pi’
  • Freehand circle drawing competition
  • Make a giant Pi newspaper chain (a dissimilar coloring for each number).

There's besides 2 dainty ideas inwards this post from @InteractMaths.

That's it for today's gems. If you're coming to the conference adjacent calendar week hence I await frontwards to coming together you, either at my workshop or during the Tweet Up (information virtually both sessions tin terminate live on constitute here). Do come upwards as well as tell hi.

Finally, here's around pictures of the fantastic piece of occupation done yesteryear my Year 10s - I dear my novel circle theorems wall. It was an slow as well as enjoyable lesson to run - I only gave them newspaper plates, straws as well as pins as well as they got on amongst it!