Thursday, September 5, 2019

5 Maths Gems #19

Hello in addition to welcome to my 19th gems post. This is where I part approximately of the best didactics ideas I've seen on Twitter each week. Most of my gems convey come upwards from across the Atlantic today.

1. Polygraph
There's been a lot of buzz almost Desmos' novel Polygraph activities. They're mathematical versions of Guess Who, designed to 'foster the pleasance in addition to the ability of words without the drudgery of the lists'. There are currently 4 Polygraph activities:

Let's expect at Polygraph: Parabolas. Students move inwards pairs (a picker in addition to a guesser) on split upwards tablets, phones or computers. The picker selects a graph from a ready of parabolas. The guesser sees the same ready of parabolas - their trace is to position which graph the picker has chosen past times cry for a serial of yes/no questions. For instance they mightiness inquire almost the seat out of roots or the place of the vertex or y-intercept. The guesser types their questions in addition to the picker responds alongside yes, no, or don't know. The guesser keeps cry for questions until they are able to position the chosen graph.
Students in addition to then convey the chance to analyse in addition to refine their questioning, in addition to y'all convey a flat discussion to formalise the mathematical vocabulary.

As alongside Desmos' awesome Gems 13, it's incredibly quick in addition to slow to larn started. I'm going to survive didactics quadratics to Year 10 before long in addition to can't hold back to purpose the Parabolas activity. And I computer program to purpose the Linear Graphs version alongside my Year 9s too.
Extract from Polygraph: Lines
2. Point, Point, Gradient
Tina Cardone (@crstn85) shared this lovely activity 'Point, Point, Slope' past times Michael Fenton (@mjfenton). It's a unproblematic precisely effective lesson stance inwards which students convey to purpose whatsoever digit from 2 to ix to create 2 points - y'all could rank them post-its or seat out tiles to shuffle around. You furnish criteria, such every bit 'create 2 points which create upwards one's heed a trace alongside the greatest possible gradient'. Read the amount post for to a greater extent than ideas. There's loads y'all could create alongside this activity, for instance y'all could inquire your students to use half dozen unlike digits (from 0 - 9) to create iii points which prevarication on the same line. It's a expert agency to railroad train agreement of linear graphs in addition to I cry back it would move good at both GCSE in addition to AS level.

Michael's spider web log is amount of fantabulous ideas. For instance in Two Fractions students house digits in addition to operators inwards the boxes below to brand an facial expression alongside the greatest possible value.
This reminds me of the Blanks activities I featured inwards Gems 17, which y'all tin rank the axe read to a greater extent than almost inwards Sarah Aldous' post Gems 13 I talked almost making your students 'Number Experts'. I shared 2 websites that are useful for finding out properties of numbers (numbergossip.com in addition to numdic.com). Both websites are fantabulous - for example, numbergossip.com tells me that 28 is a perfect, composite, happy number, and numdic.com (which wins the prize for funniest URL) gives me the binary in addition to Roman Numeral representations of 28. I've immediately discovered a novel website - the Number Property Calculator - which I similar because of the agency it gives data almost the important of the seat out properties. Here's a small extract from what comes upwards when I search for 28:
I flora this website when I was browsing through sometime posts on Math Munch. Math Munch is a 'Weekly Digest of the Mathematical Internet'. It's packed amount of fantastic resources in addition to ideas thus it's definitely worth subscribing to have weekly e-mail updates, in addition to y'all tin rank the axe follow them on Twitter also (@MathMunch).

5. Drawing Euclid
Andy Shaw (@Squidworm74) pointed me inwards the direction of these lovely Euclid videos on YouTube past times Shoo Rayner (@shoorayner). They are fantastic videos in addition to I can't hold back to part them alongside my Year vii students. Check out the amount playlist here. Here's an instance almost unlike types of triangles:



That's it for this week. I promise you've flora approximately inspiration inwards this post. I'll move out y'all alongside this bright video past times the always awesome Vi Hart - The Gauss Christmath Special. Thanks to Chris Smith (@app03102) for sharing this.




Have a wonderful Christmas!