Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gem Awards 2017

This calendar week it's the tertiary anniversary of resourceaholic.com. It's conk a tradition for me to grade the anniversary of my spider web log past times publishing an annual 'Gem Awards' post. Here I hold off dorsum at all the ideas I've shared inward my gems posts over the end twelvemonth together with request some of my favourites.

1. CPD Award
This abide by goes to Craig Barton, whose vivid podcasts accept been a really welcome improver to the basis of maths pedagogy over the end year. In his epic podcasts, Craig talks to a broad hit of people close teaching maths, from classroom teachers to basis famous pedagogy experts. Every episode gives us lots to intend about.
Special advert to La Salle Education for continuing to run affordable, accessible, high character conferences all twelvemonth round. I actually beloved their conferences together with am really grateful for everything they contribute to the evolution of the maths teaching community.

2. Best New Resources
The winner of this abide by is Gems 59 together with accept since added all the links to my resources libraries. These good written questions are tardily to use, printing nicely onto A5, together with come upward amongst answers.
Special advert to Edexcel who actually came to our rescue for some novel GCSE topics amongst their laid upward of Gems 64.

I should also advert my all fourth dimension favourite resources makers Don Steward together with MathsPad, who accept continued to make vivid resources all twelvemonth round.

3. Subject Knowledge Award
I intend that 1 of the most of import things a maths instructor tin hit the sack practise is continually lift their discipline knowledge, no thing how experienced they are. This abide by goes to instructor trainer Ed Southall, who is leading the agency on developing maths instructor discipline knowledge. His lately published majority 'here. Ed ofttimes delivers discipline noesis presentations at conferences together with has also lately started making videos which are good worth a look.



4. Best TES Resource Author
This abide by goes to Dan Walker, maker of outstanding resources for Key Stage three to 5. I wrote all close his resources inward this post together with thus practise accept a read to come across lots of wonderful examples.

5. Best New Website
This abide by goes to Clarissa Grandi - the artiest maths instructor I know. I wrote close her beautiful website Gems 57. It features classroom displays, creative lesson ideas together with extra-curricular activities.

Special advert to Darren Carter for his website mrcartermaths.com. It is super slick together with tardily to navigate, at in 1 lawsuit providing questions together with answers for busy maths teachers. And because the answers are together with thus accessible, it's a goodness revision tool for students to move at abode too.

6. Best Video
This abide by goes to the 'Gems 60. I showed it to my Year seven degree together with they had a 1 M 1000 questions close units afterwards! I'd never seen them together with thus interested inward anything before.



Special advert to 3Blue1Brown for their first-class hit of videos, including the vectors video that I enjoyed sharing amongst my Year 13s.

7. Best Problems
This abide by goes to Underground Mathematics for continuing to expand their collection of first-class H5N1 bird problems.

I should also advert Gem Awards 2015. I even together with thus relish next their Facebook posts - many of their problems are suitable for my students.

8. Best Teacher Support
The White Rose Maths Hub definitely deserves an abide by for the huge amount of back upward that they offering to schools all over the country. Their schemes of work for both principal together with secondary schools are actually useful. Their assessments are also excellent, together with they accept lately launched a collection of multiple selection questions on 1 of my favourite websites - diagnosticquestions.com. These questions are aimed at principal schools simply I regularly move them amongst my Year 7s.
Special advert goes to the Mathematical Association - their Twitter account is an absolute 'must follow' for maths teachers, keeping us all up-to-date on intelligence together with developments inward maths education.

9. Best Interactive Tool
This abide by goes to MathsPad for their first-class exterior angles tool. MathsPad has a groovy hit of character interactive tools for demonstrating concepts.


Special advert to the zoomable issue line on mathsisfun.com - my Year 7s were genuinely excited when I used it inward a house value lesson.

10. Lifetime Achievement
John Corbett is definitely every bit good immature to have a Lifetime Achievement Award! But I'm giving him 1 anyway. His awesome website this post. Thank y'all John - you're amazing!

That's it for the 2017 Gem Awards! What a fantastic collection of ideas together with resources. Thank y'all to everyone who tweets close what they've tried inward their classroom. It's together with thus inspirational. If y'all desire to read to a greater extent than Maths Gems, there's an index Gem Awards 2016 together with Gem Awards 2015 too.

Finally, land we're on the discipline of awards, I'd similar to state an enormous give thank y'all you to all of my readers for their ongoing support. I'm incredibly pleased to state that I won the Individual Education category at the Great Britain Blog Awards 2017. I intend this may hold out 1 of my greatest achievements ever, together with I couldn't hold out to a greater extent than happy. I'm genuinely grateful to all my readers.