Thursday, September 6, 2012

5 Maths Gems #78

Welcome to my 78th gems post. This is where I portion some of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. Access Maths
I start blogged virtually Gems 47. Last calendar week he started sharing a novel laid of resources for GCSE teachers. One matter that caught my oculus was his 100 'Crossover Style' questions revision mat. I accept to laid embrace for my Year 11s on Fri in addition to they'll survive getting this activity, printed on A3.
There are loads of novel resources on Grant's 9 - 1 GCSE page, many of which I accept straightaway added to my resource libraries. Do banking concern stand upward for them out.

2. Puzz Grid
Dave Taylor (@taylorda01) tweeted virtually an addictive website called Puzz Grid where you lot tin easily educate your ain grids or play other people's grids. It's a timed game where you lot accept to guide groups of 4 squares that are linked together. Dave shared 1 of his ain creations here.
This website industrial plant only as good for maths as it does for other subjects. It's actually fun - accept a larn in addition to you'll encounter what I mean.

3. 
Parallel Line Mazes (again!)
In my Gems 26 in addition to I accept used it inwards lessons many times since then.

I had forgotten that in that place were like in addition to as awesome activities inwards the geometry department of Daniels's blog until he mentioned it afterwards #mathsconf13. So I decided to characteristic this resource 1 time again - the minute fourth dimension it's been inwards a gems post - because I honey it.

4. Add 'Em Up
I spotted an action that I've non seen earlier inwards this tweet yesteryear Jae Ess (@jaegetsreal)


The watch is that each grouping of 4 students is given a card. Each pupil solves 1 of the 4 problems. Once they've all solved their problems they add together upward their answers in addition to the amount should equal the seat out inwards the middle. If it doesn't in addition to thus the grouping has to expect at the 4 solutions in addition to figure out which 1 is wrong. Sara Van Der Werf (saving the FMSP, in addition to I blogged about BCME 9.

Colin Foster (@colinfoster77) shared a great article that he wrote for the MA magazine Mathematics inwards School. It's virtually dissimilar methods for finding the nth term of a sequence. If you're teaching quadratic sequences this year, order it a read. This is the sort of dependent land noesis evolution that teachers ask to a greater extent than of!

If you lot learn mixed attainment or you're an FE instructor teaching GCSE resit in addition to thus banking concern complaint that 2 conference dates accept been announced in addition to added to my conferences page. The adjacent Mixed Attainment Maths Conference is inwards London on 27th January. The GCSE Maths Resit Conference is on 17th March inwards Sheffield.

I'm speaking virtually resources at the Power of Six Conference in London this Thursday. Do tell howdy if you're in that place (though I accept to larn out at 11am to larn dorsum to schoolhouse for a 1pm lesson, thus sad if I accept to rush off!). 

Finally, my maths instructor friends in addition to I had a bully fourth dimension at the Festival of the Spoken Nerd show inwards Redhill on Thursday. It's non besides belatedly to larn tickets for the tour - I highly recommend it!