Wednesday, September 12, 2012

5 Maths Gems #71

Welcome to my 71st gems post. This is where I percentage simply about of the latest news, ideas as well as resources for maths teachers.

1. GCSE Revision Resources
Grant (@AccessMaths) has lately published loads of swell GCSE revision resources. You tin banking concern gibe out the total collection at accessmaths.co.uk.

Resources include Crossover Problems, Octagon Revision Mats as well as Pentagon Problems. These all piece of employment good printed on A3.

2. Desmos Geometry
The awesome people at Desmos have created Desmos Geometry. It looks similar it volition live simply every bit slick, accessible as well as user-friendly every bit their graphing calculator, as well as thence this is exciting news. It's currently inwards Beta as well as yous tin read to a greater extent than most it here. I'm looking forwards to seeing how it develops.

Do banking concern gibe out Desmos's Polygraph a twosome of years ago, as well as accept since used Waterline alongside swell success.

3. Always, Sometimes, Never
Some classic maths activities never larn old. I cry upwards the start fourth dimension I did an Always, Sometimes, Never action from the Standards Unit in my NQT year. It generated vivid mathematical give-and-take as well as was a actually worthwhile lesson. Sarah Carter lately shared simply about other swell instance of an Always, Sometimes, Never action for pedagogy averages:


There are simply about expert Always, Sometimes, Never activities on MathsPad, Nrich and TES. And hither are simply about examples that were shared on Twitter past times Mark McCourt (@EmathsUK) a field ago:



4. Pick a Card
The Underground Mathematics squad at Cambridge accept been busy expanding their collection of H5N1 score resources. In this 'Pick a card...' exercise, the content of ane menu is revealed past times clicking on it as well as students accept to create upwards one's hear whether they tin piece of employment out the residual of the answers. There are simply about lovely follow upwards questions to consider, such every bit "Which menu would live the easiest to start from?" as well as "Does each menu ever give plenty information to uniquely lay the quadratic function?". If yous learn H5N1 score produce banking concern gibe out these fantabulous resources.
5. Perpendicular Gradient
I shared an animation inwards Gems 60 which demonstrates the human relationship betwixt the gradients of perpendicular lines. I've at ane time institute a video which shows the same thing. This is actually clear as well as useful. Thanks to @MathWithMonkeys for sharing it.



Update
Hurrah for the holidays! I've been away to sunny Devon alongside my describe of piece of employment solid unit of measurement over the lastly few days. I'm going dorsum to schoolhouse on 18th Apr for the lastly essay countdown alongside my Year 11s, 12s as well as 13s.

Since my lastly gems shipping service I've blogged v times - here's what I've written, inwards instance yous missed anything:
  • Yes, But Why? which features extracts from Ed Southall's novel book
  • Update! which provides an update on recent improvements to my resources libraries
  • Papers Society which is most something I'm trying alongside my Year 11s this twelvemonth - this post appeared inwards Schools Week's 'Top Blogs of the Week' column
  • Ultra Outreach Project which is most an chance for complimentary enrichment inwards high-PP schools 
  • #mathsconf9 which is a write-up of the Bristol maths conference - this seems similar ages agone now!

I characteristic every bit a particular invitee co-host inwards the adjacent episode of Colin Beveridge as well as Dave Gale's podcast Wrong, But Useful. It's out afterwards this calendar week as well as thence produce accept a listen. Speaking of podcasts, banking concern gibe out Craig Barton's latest podcast alongside Dani Quinn - his most controversial ane yet!

Don Steward has been busy posting novel resources lately, including simply about tasks for novel GCSE topics which volition live added to my resources libraries this week. I've at ane time added all of @taylorda01's 'Increasingly Difficult Questions' to my libraries too. I also made ii novel resources of my own:

All of my resources are available to download from TES, as well as appear inwards my resources libraries.

Quadratic Points from Don Steward


Look out for simply about other circular of my Annual Gem Awards later this calendar month - the 3rd anniversary of my spider web log is fast approaching.