Friday, October 11, 2019

Gem Awards 2019

Last calendar week it was resourceaholic.com's 5th birthday! It's perish a tradition for me to grade the anniversary of my spider web log yesteryear publishing an annual 'Gem Awards' post. Here I await dorsum at all the ideas I've shared inwards my gems posts over the final twelvemonth in addition to select some of my favourites. Each category has a winner in addition to a particular mention.

1. Best GCSE Support
This honour goes to the website Gems 89. This gratis site made yesteryear maths teachers has over 200 lessons matched to the GCSE specification, each alongside examples, do exercises, misconceptions, in addition to exam-style problems. I blogged nigh it over again inwards Gems 103 when I discovered that a issue of lessons incorporate examples in addition to non-examples.

I dearest this website because it ridiculously slow to exercise (no login is required in addition to y'all tin navigate inwards seconds using the search tool) in addition to covers the entire secondary maths curriculum. I exercise this website quite oft - I borrow bits in addition to pieces from lessons to include inwards mine.
Special cite to David Morse who won the 'Best New GCSE Resources' Gem Award final year. He continues to arrive at high lineament resources in addition to has latterly re-launched his website, equally featured inwards Gems 106.

2. Best New Blog
This honour goes to maths instructor Mr Rowlandson (Best New Online Tool, they've added to a greater extent than interactive resources to assist teachers alongside their explanations. Recent additions include tools in addition to slides for plans in addition to elevationscontainer filling, pie charts in addition to 3D Pythagoras. I uncovering these actually helpful. As I've said many times before, if y'all bring the budget thence MathsPad is good worth subscribing to.
Special cite to BossMaths (@boss_maths) for the ready-to-use Geogebra resources which are built into a issue of their lessons. When I tweeted nigh numberless protractors, Sudeep from BossMaths replied straightaway away alongside a handy numberless protractor applet that he made using Geogebra.

7. Best New Website
This honour goes to Jonathan Hall for the website Gems 95. There are 4 sections on this website: Compare, Odd One Out, Frayer Model in addition to Multiple Choice Quiz.
Like Jonathan's other websites, it's rattling slow to use. For event when I was explaining outside angles to my students, I showed them this:
Special cite to Craig Barton's website Gems 104:
This was shared yesteryear a colleague of Tom Bennison (@DrBennison) in addition to prettified yesteryear puzzle original Ed Southall (@solvemymaths). Given it's a square, uncovering the marked angle. I actually similar this - it doesn't involve whatever noesis beyond main schoolhouse angle facts simply it's actually satisfying to solve. 

9. Mathematics Award
This honour goes to Nicholas Rougeux's (Gems 101 for to a greater extent than on this.
Special cite to Mathigon, which won my 2015 Gem Award for Best Website. The novel content on this site is brilliant, including the interactive Gems 106 for to a greater extent than on Mathigon.

10. Lifetime Achievement Award
My previous lifetime achievement awards bring gone to Don Steward, John Corbett in addition to Jonathan Hall. This twelvemonth my lifetime achievement honour goes to the wonderfully talented Chris Smith (@aap03102).

Chris teaches maths at Grange Academy inwards Kilmarnock in addition to contributes absolutely tonnes to the global maths teaching community. His weekly maths newsletter goes to to a greater extent than or less 3000 subscribers in addition to is guaranteed to cheer upwards my Fridays. His resources are vivid in addition to his jokes are terrible. Chris won Scottish Teacher of the Year 2018 which was rattling good deserved. Chris has a pivotal role Maths Week Scotland, runs an annual maths army camp for his students, does crazy things on Pi Day, in addition to lots more.

If y'all haven't listened to Chris existence interviewed yesteryear Craig Barton on the podcast thence y'all must - he is thence incredibly positive in addition to passionate, it actually makes y'all recall in addition to appreciate the joy of maths teaching. Chris is also an inspirational world speaker in addition to I rattling much promise to come across him beak inwards both Scotland in addition to England inwards the close future.
As good equally existence total of vivid ideas, Chris is a wonderfully variety in addition to generous person. He is an inspirational instructor in addition to he makes a massive contribution to the maths community. No uncertainty he volition perish on to do thence for years to come. On behalf of all maths teachers I'd similar to give thank y'all Chris for everything he does. What a superstar. 

********

There are many people who I've non mentioned hither who bring helped to create total my gems posts alongside resources in addition to ideas over the yesteryear year. Thank y'all to all of them for their ongoing contribution to maths education. I actually appreciate the lengths people perish to percentage their move equally widely equally possible thence that nosotros all benefit. I've been on Twitter for 5 years at nowadays in addition to perish on to experience privileged to last role of such a welcoming in addition to generous community. Thank y'all also to the people who bring encouraged in addition to supported me over the final twelvemonth - it's been actually tough at times, simply there's been lots of highlights (LateMaths, Humble Pi in addition to Big MathsJam to cry simply a few).


If you're novel to my spider web log in addition to y'all enjoyed this postal service thence see my Gem Awards 2018Gem Awards 2017, Gem Awards 2016 in addition to Gem Awards 2015 to come across who has won awards previously.


Happy 5th birthday resourceaholic.com. Thank y'all to my readers for all the support!