Monday, August 20, 2012

Two Maths Apps For Children

A piffling piece agone I had a comment on my weblog from a raise who asked if I could recommend some apps for their children. I couldn't at the time, but directly I can. I late did some locomote researching some of the best apps related to maths, logic as well as work solving for all Key Stages (from historic catamenia 4 through to eighteen). There are many! In the procedure of doing this query I downloaded some bright apps for my ain children to endeavor out. My daughters Maddie (7) as well as Hettie (5) got to hold upwards my guinea pigs, as well as thankfully they actually loved the apps I chose for them. I've decided to write almost 2 of my favourite apps here. This is the start fourth dimension I've written a shipping aimed at parents rather than teachers. Note that I bought these apps myself - no 1 has paid me to promote their app (I don't practise that!).

Thinkrolls
As I write this shipping my 5 yr one-time is sitting adjacent to me playing Thinkrolls. She loves it! Every directly as well as and thence she asks me to plow over her a hint when she gets stuck. I endeavor non to plow over her a hint - I know she tin locomote every score out herself, in 1 lawsuit she's had a mean value almost it. Thinkrolls is a beautiful piffling game as well as absolutely perfect for her age. Easy agency is aimed at 3 to 5 yr olds as well as difficult agency is for ages 5 to eight. The thought is to motion cute piffling characters around mazes. It takes logic as well as creative thinking. It's super fun, as well as good worth the £3.99.
I've e'er been actually hesitant almost paying for apps but directly I realise that's a chip giddy - I purchase books as well as board games, I rent films as well as subscribe to Netflix, I pay for swimming lessons as well as Kung Fu as well as thence on - thence I'm non certain why I thought that I shouldn't pass £3.99 on a clever piffling educational app.

I'm really pleased to come across that the developer of Thinkrolls has a let out of similar apps thence that when nosotros complete the start Thinkrolls nosotros tin endeavor some other 1 inward the series. 


Slice Fractions
My 7 yr one-time has been playing Slice Fractions. This is direct related to the maths curriculum but I don't mean value she thinks of it equally a maths game. To her it's but a game involving woolly mammoths inward funny hats.
She's done a piffling chip of locomote on fractions at schoolhouse but she's really much a novice. As shortly equally the app introduced fraction annotation she started to uncovering it a chip tricky because she doesn't know the basic concepts (eg what a quarter is), but she's non been pose off. She loves it as well as she seems to hold upwards picking upwards the concepts pretty quickly. The makers of this app tell that query shows that "Slice Fractions significantly improved students’ surgery inward a really brusk total of time". So possibly this game volition aid to educate my daughter's agreement of fractions, likewise equally giving her opportunities to solve problems as well as mean value logically. And fifty-fifty if it doesn't aid her empathise fractions better, as well as thence there's no downside because to her it's but a fun game.


Slice Fractions is £3.99, as well as there's a sequel (Slice Fractions 2).

If yous receive got children a similar historic catamenia to mine, I recommend both Thinkrolls as well as Slice Fractions. In my see they're worth buying.

The other maths apps that are actually good respected are those from Dragonbox. They receive got apps for kids from historic catamenia 4 upwards to teenagers (including algebra for both 5 as well as twelve yr olds). I haven't tried them nonetheless but I've heard they are awesome.

By the agency - I haven't featured the bright apps Box Island as well as Sumaze Primary hither because I've blogged almost them before. I should cite Numberblocks though - they receive got 2 lovely apps, 1 of which is free.

Enjoy!
My guinea pigs!